Specialist Polymer Additive Manufacturing Engineer (Design and Analysis)
Company: Eaton Corporation
Location: Dearborn Heights
Posted on: October 8, 2021
Eaton Research Labs (ERL) is currently seeking a Specialist
Polymer Additive Manufacturing Engineer (Design and Analysis) to
join our team. This position is based in Southfield MI.
Relocation assistance will be provided if needed.
Eaton Research Labs (ERL) focuses on the front end of innovation
by conducting research to advance the state of the art, emphasizing
cross-business impact technologies, and innovating to provide
Eaton’s customers with safe, efficient, and reliable power
management solutions. The Polymer and Nanocomposite team has the
principal goal of identifying, developing, and facilitating
commercialization of significant growth opportunities for diverse
Eaton businesses in the area of high temperature polymer
composites/nanocomposites, additive manufacturing, smart materials,
multifunctional & conducting polymers.
The Specialist Engineer is expected to serve as a technical
and/or project lead to develop solutions for Aerospace, Electrical
and Vehicle applications with focus on additive manufacturing. The
individual should have strong innovation management skills, and
would be responsible to develop strategy, initiate new
programs/technology platforms, develop project plan, schedule,
scope, cost and technical targets. The Specialist Engineer will be
participating in brainstorming and design bursts events
contributing to the technology strategy of the business units.
Interacting with different business units and building
relationships by presenting project and technology platform ideas,
contributing to the development of compelling value propositions
for technology work and acquiring resources and funding needed
to ensure success. The individual will also be working with
external partners to secure Department of Energy (DOE) and
Department of Defense (DoD) funded programs. They are expected to
contribute to technical papers and presentations as well as IP
generation through authoring (or co-authoring) disclosures and
As a key member of the Polymer and Nanocomposite team, the
Specialist Engineer is expected to develop themselves as a subject
matter expert both internally and externally to Eaton. This
includes attending conferences, seminars and/or consortium meetings
in relevant industry to network with technical peers and stay
updated in their fields.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every
employee around the world. We create an environment where
creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every
day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your
full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
In this role you will:
- Develop the strategy, roadmap and execution plan for
progressing the polymer additive manufacturing projects from ideas
- Demonstrate technical leadership around polymer composite
additive manufacturing, design and analysis, processing, material
selection and qualification.
- Demonstrate technical leadership in the area of polymer
additive manufacturing (FGF & FFF), SLS and SLA.
- Design for additive manufacturing (DfAM) using the latest
development in software’s for mechanical and thermal optimization,
develop print strategy, recommend material/machine combination to
evaluate feasibility of AM that meet the application
- Demonstrate good knowledge of qualifying material and parts
developed by additive manufacturing
- Identify and work with external technology sources including
academic institutions, consultants, 3D printing service companies,
software providers, and material processors to qualify or develop
the proposed technologies.
- Demonstrate ability to work effectively with R&D, product
engineering, manufacturing, marketing and Business Units globally
and cross functional team to deliver on technical concepts and
capabilities to drive business growth.
- Driving and delivering on multiple project tasks with
prioritization while maintaining focus on key milestones and
- Write and present project funding proposals including
government contract and/or grants.
- Work effectively with diverse and remotely located global
- Use Value Proposition Design/Business Model Canvas and Design
for Six Sigma tools as appropriate.
- Direct work with laboratory technicians as necessary
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and
backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as
a company — are stronger.
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
- Master’s Degree in Engineering or Science from an accredited
institution with 5+ years of experience practicing materials
science or engineering OR a PhD Degree in Engineering or Science
from an accredited institution with 3+ years tangible research or
industrial experience practicing materials
- Minimum 3 year of experience in Additive Manufacturing, with
focus on Fused Granular Fabrication (FGF), Fused Filament
Fabrication (FFF), Selective Laser Sintering (SLS) and utilization
of design software to design, print and analyze performance.
- Proficient in CAD, AM slicers such as Simplify3D or Cura and
knowledge of the latest development in AI based software.
- Experience in designing using CAD and producing 3D printed
components using specified design rules
- Ability to identify issue and trouble shoot 3D printers and
- Must be able to work in the United States without corporate
sponsorship now and within the future.
- PhD Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Material Science, Polymer
Science, Polymer Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Materials
Engineering from an accredited institution.
- Demonstrated proficiency in application appropriate tools &
processes such as AgileStartTM Methodology, Lean Innovation, DFSS,
- Experienced with additive manufacturing part and design
development. Knowledge of product design best practices and
- Demonstrate good knowledge of polymer characterization methods
including DSC, TGA, MFI, and SEM/EDS to characterize printed
- Project management experience is highly desired.
- Possess strong business acumen and the ability to understand
and formulate compelling technical and business value
- Familiar with process maturity, process scale up and work along
with production team to take new products from lab scale to
- Proven track record for IP generation or publications in
reputable peer-reviewed journals is a must.
- Demonstrated ability to think innovatively and strategically
and communicate complex technical ideas effectively in both
technical and commercial environment.
- Ability to be self-directed. Driving and delivering on multiple
project tasks with prioritization while maintaining focus on key
milestones and goals
- Candidates should demonstrate strong initiative and drive for
results as well as good interpersonal skills and be a team
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for
all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based
upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national
origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected
veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We provide benefits that are industry
competitive and focused on employee well-being. Listed below are
programs that are offered globally, but program availabilities may
vary by site.
- Flexible work options to help balance work/life demands (at
participating Eaton sites)
- Healthcare/retirement savings programs
- Competitive compensation packages to reward skills and
- Tuition assistance or financial help for ongoing learning and
- Health, Dental, Vision & Wellness programs
- Donation matching (U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico)
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the
technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical
services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find
one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is
dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with
power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient,
safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters.
We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the
attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate,
accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to
learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest
challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: CTO Corporate Technology
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton
facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from
within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Keywords: Eaton Corporation, Dearborn Heights , Specialist Polymer Additive Manufacturing Engineer (Design and Analysis), Other , Dearborn Heights, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!